Harris County Home Page






In the event of an emergency please contact our helpline 24 hours a day at (713) 970-7070      
How to Access
Early Childhood Intervention (ECI)
(713) 970-4800

ECI provides services designed to assist parents in addressing the needs of young children (less than 3 years of age) with delayed development and/or atypical development. You may apply for ECI services directly by calling the number listed.

For more ECI information click here.


Additional Resources Beyond ECI: Transition Guide for Families
  Pre-School Program for Children with Disabilities
  Siblings Perspectives: Guidelines for parents to help the adjustment of siblings of individuals with autism.


CHILDREN (School-Age)  
How to Access

Skills Intervention Program

(713) 970-7070

ABA-SkIP is designed for children ages 3 - 15 years old with a documented autism diagnosis and with maladaptive or challenging behaviors.

For more ABA-SkIP information click here.


Transition Services
(713) 970-7658

Services include a coordinated set of activities for students aimed at promoting a successful transition from school to post-school activities, programs and independent involvement within the community.

For more Transition information click here.


Additional Resources A Guide to the Admissions, Review and Dismissal (ARD) Process
  Bullying: How to identify and what to do
  Community Parent Resource Centers
  Special Education Process Step by Step
  The Future is Coming: Transition Resources for Families
  Transition to Middle School
  Your First IEP Meeting


High School Graduation 
How to Access
Community First Choice (CFC)
(713) 970-7070

Entitlement program that provides the most cost effective approach for basic attendant and habilitation service delivery to individuals living in the community.

For more CFC information click here.


IDD Consultation and Liaison Team
(713) 741-6998

The liaison team primary mission is to provide consultative services to physicians who treat consumers while they are admitted to the Harris County Psychiatric Center (HCPC) or the NeuroPsychiatric Center (NPC).

For more IDD Consultation and Liaison Team information click here.


Intermediate Care Facility for Individuals with an Intellectual Disability (ICF-IID)
(713) 970-8385

The ICF/IID facility is a Medicaid certified program usually housing up to six (6) individuals in a residential group home setting with shift staff.

For more ICF-IID information click here.


Respite Care
(713) 970-7070

Respite Care provides short term temporary or intermittent direct care of a child or adult, either in-home or out-of-home.

  • In-Home Respite - Families choose their own respite provider (friend, relative, etc. ) who provides this service within the individual's home.
  • Out-of-Home Respite - The individual/family is given a choice of respite services, from a list of contracted providers. The program can be used for overnight or daytime stays.
  • Crisis Respite - Therapeutic support provided in a safe environment to an individual who is demonstrating a crisis. This service can be provided in-home or out-of-home.

For more Respite information click here.


Specialized Therapies and Rehabilitative Services (STARS)
(713) 970-7070

The STARS clinic provides behavior analysis, psychological and social work counseling services to children and adults with intellectual disabilities including autism, and co-occurring psychiatric conditions or severe behaviors.

For more STARS information click here.


Texas Home Living Waiver (TxHML)
(713) 970-7070

The TxHmL Program provides services and supports to Texans with an intellectual disability or a related condition so that they can continue to live with their families or in their own homes.

For more TXHML information click here.


Additional Resources Diagnosis vs. Disability Category: Defining Eligibility
  Family Resource Guide
  Family Supports


ADULTS (18 years of age +)  
How to Access
(713) 970-7070

The Coffeehouse provides "drop in" social skills and communication training for adults with Asperger's Disorder or autism and limited cognitive delays.

For more Coffeehouse information click here.


Additional Resources Helping Young Adults with LD Transition to Employment
  Resource Guide on Higher Education for People with Disabilities
  The Next Step: Higher Education Video
  Think College: Post Secondary Education for Students with Intellectual Disabilities
  Vocational Rehabilitation for Persons with Disabilities
  • Step 1: The parent, legal guardian, primary caregiver, or person in need of services can call the Access Center at (713) 970-7070.

  • Step 2: Once the referral is received from the Access Center, an Eligibility Coordinator will explain what documents are needed and how you can get them. For more information click here.

  • Step 3: After your documents are received, if necessary you will receive a Determination of Intellectual Disability Assessment (DID) to determine your eligibility for services.

  • Step 4: A Business Office staff member will discuss possible fees that may apply and assist with obtaining benefits for which you may be eligible.

  • Step 5: If you are eligible for services, a Service Coordinator will be assigned to help you and your family to understand your rights and available benefits.